Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Best Meatloaf Update!

Best Meatloaf CONFIRMED!....in testing :) 
 


Update:
It was delicious!!! I'd recommend!

I didn't use mustard - the mister doesn't like mustard.
Didn't have majoram or hot sauce. (Would be a nice kick with the hot sauce if you like spicy!)
I used 1# sirloin, 1# chuck and 1# mild pork sausage.
And I used Stove Top stuffing in place of the bread crumbs.
Added worstechire sauce...didn't measure, a few good splashes.

Very tasty!

Ingredients

1Tbs olive oil
cups onion, chopped
3garlic cloves, minced
2large eggs
½cup milk
2tsp dijon mustard
1tsp hot sauce
tsp fresh marjoram, or ½ teaspoon dried, crumbled
tsp fresh thyme, or ½ teaspoon dried, crumbled
salt and freshly ground pepper
1lb chuck
½lb veal (optional. Use half pork and beef if you can't find ground veal or don't buy veal)
½lb pork, twice-ground
cups fresh bread crumbs
¼cup fresh parsley, minced
½cup ketchup
¼cup light brown sugar
Tbs cider vinegar

Directions

1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2 In a skillet over moderate heat, add the oil. Heat the oil until hot, but not smoking. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Set aside and let cool.
3 In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, mustard, and hot sauce together. Add marjoram, thyme, salt, and pepper.In a large mixing bowl, combine the meats, egg-milk mixture, bread crumbs, parsley, and the cooked onion mixture.
4 In a small bowl stir together ketchup, sugar, and vinegar. Set aside.
5 Form 1 tablespoon of the meat mixture into a small patty, add it to a small oiled skillet, and cook until no longer pink. Taste for seasoning and adjust.
6 Transfer meat mixture to an oiled loaf pan. Brush meat with ketchup glaze.Bake in oven for about 45 minutes, until glaze has set.
7 Brush meat loaf with remaining glaze and bake for 15 minutes more; glaze again.
My oven takes 1 hour and 15 minutes to reach the desired doneness. Times do vary, so allow for that!
8 Internal temperature of loaf should be 160 degrees F.



I have a beauty like this in the oven right now.  I made 2 1/2 #, hoping to freeze some. I tweaked it a little bit as I didn't have a couple of things and I added a couple things not on the recipe.  I'll post a review after dinner! And will add my tweaks :)

I plan on making mashed red skin potatoes and fresh asparagus.

 Find the recipe here:  the-very-best-glazed-meatloaf-recipe

No comments: